Saturday, September 09, 2006

RED CARPET EVENT!...MY MOM IS COMING!!

Yes ppl, this is an event. My mother is coming to our home 2 weeks from tomorrow. For some it's no big deal. Or it's just a normal occurance. For me...well...
The last time my mom came to my home was when my daughter was 6 weeks old. This was 16 years ago! My daughter will have her 16th bday just 4 days before she arrives. So you get the picture? I had to give BIRTH for her to come over!
NO I AM NOT GIVING BIRTH THIS MONTH..(the boutique closed 16 yrs ago)....just to make that clear. But u do see how this could be termed an EVENT.
Let me explain abit more. My mom lives across the country. It is a 5 hour flight away. Or a 5 day drive, lol, which ever you prefer. (I don't need zeelots...telling me they did it in 3...I did it in 6, so sue me) depends how many times u need to pee on the way I guess. whatever..its a long ass drive.

My mom is also one of those ppl who hates... I mean HATES! to fly. It's a phobia and I can understand and respect it. Although I can travel by air, I don't particularly enjoy it. It's just to convenient and expedient to not use. I grin and bare it till it's time to get off and breath a sigh of relief that it's over. My mom and a sister are both paralysed by the thought. They have both done it in the past nonetheless but the stress level they live with from the moment they have it booked, to the moment they land back home is horrible. I said back home because what ever holiday they are on, all they can think about is the flight back home. It's no fun. It's also the reason my sister wasn't at my wedding.

My mom explained it best once by saying, ppl who have a phobia of flying don't just THINK they will crash....they KNOW that they will crash. Irrational or not, it just is.
This pretty lady is my MOM

But this yr, mom decided that she would make the trip because it was about time she did....Her husband will be coming with her which is nice too. He can hold her hand (I don't envy him for a second).

I think we will need a few spatula's to scrape my mom off the floor of the plane when we get there to pick her up. The last time, she was on the tipsy side and I can't say that I blame her. But she was alone that trip. I think with her hubby along for physical and moral support, she will empty all the cute little liquor bottles they have.....(wondering if I should inform airline to stock up)
Anyway, it should be interesting but hey, whatever gets her here works for me lol.

I am so glad Chris has met my mom. He hasn't however, seen her drunk....I am so relieved that he married me BEFORE he finally does!

All that aside, it will be great to have her here with her hubby Ben. We plan alot of stuff for the 4 days they will be here. Then she is off to my sister's place 3 hours away for another 4 days. Sis is thrilled too. Will be weird to have our mom in the same hemisphere as us for a change lol.

Are u afraid to fly? Do you have loved ones u hardly see because of it?

20 comments:

kenju said...

Moon, I absolutely adore flying. I think when it is your time to go, you will go, whether you are on a plane or train or walking. My mom wouldn't fly either, and my poor dad wanted all his life to go to Australia, but he wouldn't go without her. He died never having gotten on a plane, because of her. It was so sad to me.

Michele sent me today.

Moogie said...

I'm ok with flying, but I grew up with a father who was a private pilot so it's not a big thing for me. I can't imagine what it must be like to be afraid to fly. That's got to be awful.

Yay for mom coming to visit! I hope you have a wonderful time together!

Moogie said...

PS: Michelle sent me!

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

i use to love flying, but ever since I started wondering how a huge chunk of metal could actually stay in the air . . . I've been reduced to tolerating a flight.

The Witch Doctor said...

well I think you already know my thoughts on this one...

I absolutely love flying

When my mother, sister and I all flew to Cuba that was the longest flight that I've ever been on and it was about 6 hours. Only time I felt off about flying was because my mom hates flying and she was nervous and sitting beside her. For a little while I just sat there listening to music and holding my mom's hand.

Anonymous said...

aahhhhhhhhh I love when my mom comes for a visit.

utenzi said...

Hemisphere, Moon? I assumed you meant that your Mom lived in British Columbia but I guess you must mean New Zealand or Australia. Tough to drive from those countries but they are in the other hemisphere...

In any case, BC or NZ, I hope your Mom survives the tension that the trip forces upon her--maybe a train would be a better option?--and that she really enjoys visiting her two daughters and grandkids too. Have a great visit with her, Moon!

Michele sent me!

Moon said...

Sorry utenzi..my mom lives in Alberta actually but it was an obvious exaggeration on my part, or I thought it was, given the rarity of her visits, she might as well be in another hemisphere. My bad....
BTW, there are no trains leaving Calgary..would have to drive 4 to 5 hours just to get Edmonton for that. And then to cross canada, it costs a fortune. But thanks for the suggestion, she looked into it yrs ago.

sage said...

I don't fear flying, use to do it at least once a month and still fly a couple times a year, but I hate the packed feeling and the hurry up and wait mentality of flying. I much prefer the train, you get on it expecting to be late! Since I've lived most of my adult life on the other side of the country from my parents (with the exception of when we lived on the other side of the world from each other) its good none of us mind flying. Otherwise we'd not see each other. Anyway, enjoy your mother's visit. Here from Michele's.

lab munkay said...

I'm more comfy in a plane than driving myself. There are no idiot semi's in the air or hidden turns.

srp said...

Here from Michele.

My brother lives in Vienna. It was a nine hour flight from Atlanta. My daughter has been flying since she was 8mths old and has made several trips all on her own. I love to fly, except the seats are smaller and the service horrible now. It was much nicer back in the 70's.

Lazy Daisy said...

You poor mom. Hope she has a wonderful flight and the trip is so much fun she won't want to wait another 16 years! Michele thinks so too!

Anonymous said...

How exciting to finally get to see her!!
No fear of flying keeping my family members away...but I finally got to have my dad visit me after 15 years of not seeing him (or barely speaking) but thats a whole nother story!
I hope she has a good flight and a wonderful visit!! Relish your time together!
Here from Michele's!

kenju said...

I hope your mom will have a good flight and enjoy it, inspite of her fear.

Michele sent me this time!

carmilevy said...

I fly often because of work. I am intimiately aware of the fundamentals of flight, and am keenly aware of the risks of being in the air.

I count the rows to the exit, and I always watch the safety briefing. I try to sit in the exit row if at all possible: that way, I don't have to rely on anyone else to open the door if the worst happens.

Drinking while in the air: not a good idea. It's hits you twice as hard because the cabin pressure is equivalent to that found at 8,000 feet. So the alcohol metabolizes faster and you recover more slowly.

Anonymous said...

I think only birds should fly.
No seriously, I understand WHY we have to but I would choose never to fly if that were a viable option.
Enjoy your mom's visit.
Here from Michele

Paste said...

Hi Moon, here from Michele's and I'm afraid that I'm one of those who loves flying!

Carrie said...

I love to fly but the bf doesn't care for it. My brother works for an airline and we can pretty much fly for cheap but bf refuses.

Anonymous said...

Moon, I'm so glad she is coming. 16 years is a LONG time.

I bought an mp3 player for my upcoming trip, and James has his game boy so we should be ok. Either way.

I hope you all have a good time.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

Hello hello!!! From Michele meet and greet.